April 7, 2009

Not Everyone Is A Weirdo

Sometimes I am still amazed that there are normal, down-to-earth people in the world.

Every Christmas I travel halfway across the world to see my family.  I dread the flight as am not good at sitting still for long periods of time, without becoming exceptionally bored - a lifelong affliction (ask my poor mother - I am the annoying "I'm booorrrreedddd" child).  This year was different. 

As I was organizing my "area" for the next 12 hours, a bright and shining face said "hello".  I thought oh no, not again.  I had fallen for that before, lulled into a false sense of security by a welcoming face.  The last time I'd been polite, it had started a bout of verbal diarrhea that included being "hit on" profusely for the next 5 hours before having a business card thrust into my face and a "let's get together".  We had to bump into each other again as we waited for our bags.  Had even detoured into the loo to bide my time, so that we didn't have to reunite. Unfortunately that was not the case here.

So I said "hi" rather briskly back to my fellow passenger before busying myself, hoping that he would get the message.  He didn't and asked sweetly if I wanted him to put my duvet in the overhead compartment.  Then I felt bad and said to the devil on my shoulder ....."have a little Christmas spirit, don't be so rude".  And honestly I'm glad I wasn't.  We chatted for hours, found out we are in the same biz, drank lots (a wine and cocktail tasting that lasts for 12 hours), laughed and probably annoyed all the passengers around us.  We vowed to have dinner when he was next in Los Angeles.  

I am a little cautious now I have to admit. I try not to be judgmental or distance but I have, as some would say "an open face".  As was always the case in London, on the "last tube" surrounded by the merry older Irish gentlemen (I'm being politically correct), talking incessantly and incoherently to me while at the same time looking for somewhere warm to end their evening of libation.

So my fellow passenger and I had dinner last week.  Left off where we had started and laughed continually.  We went to the only restaurant in Los Angeles that doesn't take reservations, is packed every night, incredibly noisy and the wait is usually about 2 hours.  We got a table as a) there is a RECESSION and b) no-one else would sit outside, although it was warm enough for summery dress and the heat lamps were a-blazing.  Traveller friend and I are becoming fast friends. 

So, in closing...not EVERYONE is a weirdo but there sure are a lot of them out there.  

12 comments:

Lola said...

What a lovely post & congratulations on your well-deserved award (where will you stash the Oscar?)

Always so witty & amusing. Sometimes I laugh out loud so much P thinks I'm a weirdo!

xN

Miss Whistle said...

You sound soooo familiar to me; it's lovely not to feel alone in LALA. xo

Hannah Stephenson said...

That is exciting indeed! And Not Everyone is a Weirdo should be a slogan for some company--please begin marketing it.

Lucy Fishwife said...

I completely agree - the London (or indeed any big city) thing can mean you end up not talking to people, especially after the "inebriated elderly gentlemen" experiences on the tube (or, often, "the couple whose relationship requires loud protestations of fiery disagreement in which fellow passengers are loudly encouraged to join". Or, worse, "the kindly soul who simply wishes to share their obsessive love of Jesus with a total stranger, at great length"). BUT. But but but, YES, most people are lovely, and congratulations on finding a kindred spirit. Let us know how it progresses!

La Belette Rouge said...

Great story!! It is so nice when unexpected connections occur.

So Lovely said...

Nora: I told Tanya that I promise to polish my Award everyday and that it won't become a loo door stopper. Glad I make you laugh - don't we all need a little hilarity.
xC

So Lovely said...

Miss Whistle: Lovely to have you stopping by. So glad we figured out where our paths have crossed. I remember the gorgeous colour you painted your library. So brilliant.
xC

mothership said...

Amazing! I am usually extremely cautious on planes about talking to anyone, or at least I was until I had children and now of course I am one of those pariahs whom everyone hopes they will not be seated near and I have to talk nonstop nonsense to 1 and 4 year old for hours and hours to prevent meltdowns.
How very delightful to have met new friend in this manner. Am most envious.

Cassandra said...

Ooooh how fascinating. I LOVE this sort of story. I also have a "kind" face and attract every nutter under the sun. Luckily I am older now so fewer perves. Do keep us up to speed on this, would be so cool if you've made a friend for life!

Laura said...

What a wonderful experience! Agreed, it is hard to know who's great and who's creepy...I suffer from the same fear of being too closed off but I suppose the need has arisen from experiences that require it!

Maternal Tales said...

Hello. I seem to have only just found you for some reason. Bit slow me... Love the story - and how exciting! He sounds great - yes do keep us informed. He could be a goodie! x

White Witch of the Runway said...

See a friend can turn up when (and where) you least expect!