October 15, 2008

Blog Action Day 2008 : "The Beggars Song"

I always go from gate to gate,
soaked to the bone and all burned up;
All of a sudden I'll lay my right ear
in my right hand
Then my own voice sounds to me
as if I had never known it.

Then I don't know for sure,
who it is that's screaming
me or just somebody else.
I'm screaming about next to nothing, really.
Poets scream about more.

Finally, I close my face
with both eyes shut;
which looks as if it's in my hands
with its whole weight, and resting.
That's so that they don't think 
I don't have a proper place,
to lay down my head.

~ Rainier Maria Rike, The Beggars Song, excerpt from The Voices, translated by Cliff Crego

Many of the blogs I read are participating in this today.  Here are a few of my favorites: Pia, Hidden In France and My Sister's In Darfur.


6 comments:

corine said...

I'm so glad to be a favorite. Yes, let's blog away against poverty, what else can we do?

So Lovely said...

Hi Corine - I have realized that just by blogging about it today and leaving as many comments as I possibly can, is spreading the word. Its so great. It makes the world a smaller place when we all get involved.

Anonymous said...

truly sad lines. :(

for my part, i turn to sites like freerice (rice donation), kiva (microfinance), and goodsearch (donation per search), as ways to help alleviate poverty online. i also put up their banners on my blog. :)

it's great that you're participating in blog action day. :) a smaller place indeed (this comment's coming from the philippines). :)

So Lovely said...

Hi kouji haiku: thank you for your lovely comment. I haven't heard about goodsearch so I will check it out. Thats what I truly love about this - learning something new.

Hannah Stephenson said...

Wonderful poem and message. Thanks for sharing.

cotedetexas said...

Charlie - thanks for your comment tonight! my parents actually own a summer home in La Costa so I'm familiar with that place. This summer they went to a birthday party held at Cal a Vie in the church - they were all told to wear white - and my mom said it was absolutely gorgeous!!!!!!
thanks again!
Joni